Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Happy Anniversary (Well, Blogiversary)


Today is the 1 year anniversary of Doctor David’s Blog. I want to thank everyone who has ever read my blog, whether you just stopped by once or twice, or you are a subscriber. A blog is nothing without readers.

Honestly, I’m amazed at what has happened over the past year. I’m not sure I knew what would happen that day I sat down to make my first post. Certainly, I had no idea that I would have made 79 posts the first year and would have almost 100 people subscribing to my RSS feed! Even more exciting, though, are the connections I’ve made as a result of this blog. Some connections have been short-lived – a patient or parent calling or emailing and asking for advice. But some have developed into real friendships or have strengthened bonds with patients and their families (and I think you know who you are). I wouldn’t have predicted any of this, but I’m so glad it’s happened.

Anniversaries are traditionally times to reflect on the previous year, and I’ve been thinking back on some of my more popular posts. I wasn’t surprised to learn that my introductory post was one of my most popular, but it was neat to see that my post on a new sarcoma drug, trabectedin (Medicine from the Sea) was also among the most popular. Other highlights from this year included my first ever giveaway (and are those the coolest socks ever, or what?) and the (occasionally controversial) series on viruses and cancer. It has been great to hear from medical students who have responded positively to the posts about what it is like to be a pediatric oncologist.

But above all, my favorite posts to write are the patient stories. Some are heartwarming stories of triumph, while others don’t end as well. But all relate stories of patients and their families facing tremendous odds and triumphing, even in the face of death. I’d like to take a moment to update some of these stories:

K, who was the subject of my first patient story post, has graduated from college and is moving to California to take over the internet (I hope he remembers me fondly when he rules the world!).

M, who I have mentioned recently, passed away after participating in the Phase I study. His family sent me a lovely thank you note, however, and they truly were at peace with how his struggle ended.

Natalie continues to do very well.

Ben not only beat his tumor, but has become involved with Stomp Out Cancer, a group of indie musicians who create and sell CDs to raise money for Ewing’s sarcoma research. Rock on, Ben!

This has been a remarkable blog year for me. I can’t wait to see what Year 2 has in store.

12 comments:

outre said...

Happy 1!

rlbates said...

Happy Blogiversary! Hope we can share many more with you.

Mary Alice said...

I enjoy your blog because I work with adult sarcoma patients at a cancer hospital in Philadelphia. I love pediatric oncology, but our hospital doesn't do kids. They go to CHOP which is top notch. Our patients are the best, aren't they? We are so lucky to share in their lives.

Jen said...

Happy Anniversary! Your job is always interesting and informative...stay around for a while!

Dr. Smak said...

Happy Blogiversary, David. Looking forward to many more posts, as well as visits.

Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary from your "big sister" whose blog is 1.5 years old... ;) We'll toddle into the blog future together.

jaime said...

Happy Blogiversary! Time flies when you're having fun, doesn't it?? Keep it up!

Doctor David said...

Thank you guys so much for the warm wishes. I have enjoyed keeping this blog more than I ever expected... and one of the best (unexpected) parts has been making new friends.

Here's to another bunch of years together.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Happy "Blogiversary" lol!
Your blog seems really interesting. I am a high school senior and am confused about what I want do choose as my career, but I am seriously thinking about becoming a pediatric oncologist. It's nice to read about someone who is actually one and the experiences they have.

LoraLee said...

Happy Blogiversary! I'm not a subscriber but a reader. I love reading your blogs!

Anonymous said...

happy anniversary,, great going... keep up the pace.

Susan said...

Happy Blogiversary ( a little late!)

Thanks Doc for taking the time to share your life with us.

I enjoy your posts and your passion and great love for your patients means the world to so many.

I'm so glad I stumbled upon your awesome blog...